1. Religion & Spirituality

Is Abortion Wrong?

By April 24, 2010

When is abortion wrong? Is it ever okay? Is abortion, marriage, or adoption the right path for you? How can you know what to do? Find help and guidance in this article as well as other additional resources and links: Is Abortion Wrong?
Comments
April 26, 2010 at 6:37 pm
(1) Connie says:

Abortion is ALWAYS wrong. Even if a child is conceived as the result of rape or incest it is still a child and is entitled to life. The child should not be murdered because of the sins of his or her father or mother. There is absolutely no reason for an abortion.

April 28, 2010 at 3:14 pm
(2) mary-lou says:

@Connie: I disagree. One should walk into someone’s shoes before making comments. I stand at the standards of the Church. An usufull guide. There are some cases where abortion can be considered. I hope that the issue will never be yours to deal with, but a pregnancy after a rape or an incestous rape may be over too much for a woman to bear. If the Curch doesn’t judge, I see no reason in doing it myself.
I believe in life, I strongly believe in life. I have had 5 children, not one, yet I find it difficoult to disagree totally with abortion. The three standars considered by the Church are three major issues. Life threatning pregnancy for mother and/or baby, rape/incest…as I wrote above…one should walk in someones shoes for a while

May 3, 2010 at 2:19 pm
(3) Stephanie says:

I would have to believe that it would be easier to live with the temporary burden of a pregnancy than the eternal burden of guilt which would accompany killing an innocent child housed within one’s womb.

May 4, 2010 at 12:07 am
(4) Connie says:

I have a dear friend who was conceived as a result of rape. Thankfully her mother did not believe in abortion. No one should have to die because of another’s sins. There is absolutely no good reason for abortion. I wish it were illegal but too many people are afraid to label it what it is – murder.

May 4, 2010 at 7:18 am
(5) Connie says:

Just wanted to add to my previous comment. My Mom had serious heart problems and was told that she and her child would die. She believed in life and here I am. When I was pregnant with my daughter the doctor wanted to get rid of her because of my age. She is now a lovely, educated young woman, married and expecting her second child. I have walked in the shoes and know there is no good reason for murdering an innocent pre-born child.

May 31, 2010 at 2:04 pm
(6) Jillian says:

Connie,
You have not walked in those shoes. You have been pregnant, yes. You have not however, been raped, or forced to have sex with a male family member. You have no idea how difficult it is for these women to go through this. Do not judge. Jesus would not want you to judge someone. Christianity is about acceptance and forgiveness. Try living your life that way.

August 20, 2010 at 9:05 am
(7) Jade says:

If your saying that having an abortion is taking away the rights of a child, isnt it similar to having a child christened? the child has not developed and therefore cannot deceide for themselves whether or not they want to live. the same as when a father passes away leaving his company to his son, and the son is only 10 years old. he cant make the descisions an adult can. if a child was born with inscest parents, isnt that going to cause problems for the child? childhood should be a happy innocent time, and being called names about ones parents lowers self esteem. when this child reaches high school and puberty, what could happen then? “ew yuck her parents are inscest” “your retarted” .. what would happen to this child? suicidal thoughts amongst teens is common, and what if this child felt so depressed about a bad descision his or her parents made, they killed themselves? this scenario can have a different outcome thats different and positive as well so im not saying that abortion is wrong, or right, just that there is always more choices than one, and yes abortion is a valid option when one is pregnant.

January 4, 2011 at 1:16 am
(8) s j says:

I understand that abortion is wrong, and there are many innocent people who are born as a result of rape, but it all depends on how the mother feels about what happened. Of course, the child is innocent, but if the mother was violently raped, the child might be a reminder of the perpetrator, no matter how innocent, let alone, the child fatherless and having to deal with the bad memory that they cannot help creating will eventually drive the child to depression, drugs, or even suicide.

June 14, 2011 at 5:06 pm
(9) francesca says:

Personally I believe that abortion is NOT wrong. This is simply because of my experiences working with women that have had an abortion. I am a christian and do understand why others may say that it is “wrong” but for me that is too of a bold statement.
For mothers with children perhaps with a genetic condition, for young mothers- mostly- the struggle and ongoing responsibility for any child is unbearable. I also think of the child and if they did have a genetic condition or emotionally/financially/physically their parents could not provide basic care they should make a choice in the best interest of the child.
Other situations such as rape/incest that is totally a the women’s choice; for I do not believe I have a right to judge these people. I can not place my self in their position. Everyone deals with situations differently therefore the choice of abortion in these circumstances.

In saying this, I do believe that abortion should not be used as contraception for many personal reasons. It is ‘messing’ with life and I fully appreciate that but people need to accept society and other exceptional circumstances.

June 16, 2011 at 1:06 pm
(10) Rachel Bruner, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

Francesca: Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinion with us. Here’s another resource you might find useful, it’s the official statement about abortion from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:

June 17, 2011 at 1:57 pm
(11) Kephas says:

Even the LDS says they believe in the “sanctity” of life (see the newsroom link above). Sanctity means that something is sacred and holy. Life means something alive, and for LDS that means a living Spirit.

LDS says abortion is fine when: rape or incest, the mother’s life is in serious jeopardy (determined through proper medical authority), the baby will not survive after birth due to severe defects (determined through proper medical authority)

So I hear the LDS claiming that it is okay to give more weight to the feelings of the mother (raped) than that of Sacred Life! Kill the sacred life to spare the feelings of the mother? Wow.

As for killing the life just because it will die anyway. Why not just let it die naturally instead of forcefully killing it unnaturally?

What is incest if it isn’t rape? Since it is listed separately it must not be rape so how does this justify killing sacred life?

The only one close to being valid would be the mother’s life is in jeopardy, but then it is life versus life. All good unselfish mothers would happily give up their own life to save the life of their child!