There are several ways that Mormons celebrate Easter and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints focus on Jesus Christ at Easter by celebrating His Atonement and resurrection. Here are some of the ways Mormons celebrate Easter.
Every Easter the Church of Jesus Christs holds a huge pageant in Mesa, Arizona about Christ's life, ministry, death, and resurrection. This Easter pageant is "the world's largest annual outdoor Easter pageant, with a cast of over 400" who celebrate Easter through music, dance, and drama.
Easter Sunday Worship
Mormons celebrate Easter Sunday by worshiping Jesus Christ through attending church where they partake of the sacrament, sing hymns of praise, and pray together.
On Easter Sunday church services often focus on the resurrection of Jesus Christ, including talks, lessons, Easter hymns, songs, and prayers. Sometimes a ward may hold a special Easter program during sacrament meeting which might include a narrative, special musical number(s), and talks about Easter and Jesus Christ.
Visitors are always welcome to come worship with us on Easter Sunday or any other Sunday of the year.
At church children are taught lessons about Easter in their primary classes.
- Easter Primary Lessons
- Nursery: Jesus Christ Was Resurrected (Easter)
- Primary 1: The Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Easter)
- Primary 2: We Celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Easter)
- Primary 3: Jesus Christ Made It Possible for Us to Live Forever (Easter)
- Primary 4: The Book of Mormon Is a Witness of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Easter)
Primary 6: The Gift of the Atonement (Easter)
Easter Primary Songs from Children's Songbook
- Did Jesus Really Live Again?
- Easter Hosanna
- He Died That We Might Live Again
- He Sent His Son
- Jesus Has Risen
- On a Golden Springtime
Mormons often celebrate Easter as a family through Family Home Evening (with lessons and activities), having Easter dinner together, or holding other special Easter activities as a family. These Easter activities could include any of the usual traditional family activities such as coloring eggs, egg hunts, Easter baskets, etc.
- Family Easter Activities and Crafts
- Family Home Evening Lesson: "He is Risen!"
- "Easter Activities"
- "Easter Kitchen Krafts"
- "Why We Rejoice: An Easter Program"
- Easter Poem: "The Garden"
Poll: Does the Easter bunny detract from the true meaning of Easter?