The sons of perdition are those (both men and women) who have received a complete testimony of Jesus Christ (revealed to them by the Father through the Holy Ghost) and then willfully rebel against God. Sons of perdition fully know who Jesus Christ is and knowingly choose to turn away from God and rebel against Him.
Sons of Perdition Are:
- Satan (the devil) and his followers who rebelled with him in the war in heaven before man was created on the Earth.
- Those born on Earth who commit the unpardonable sin against the Holy Ghost and Jesus Christ.2
Sons of perdition can no longer repent or be forgiven and they will not be saved from the second death.
"They are they who are the sons of perdition...Sons of Perdition Want Us to Be Miserable
"For they are vessels of wrath, doomed to suffer the wrath of God, with the devil and his angels in eternity;
"Concerning whom I have said there is no forgiveness in this world nor in the world to come—
"Having denied the Holy Spirit after having received it, and having denied the Only Begotten Son of the Father, having crucified him unto themselves and put him to an open shame."3
In the Church's New Testament Institute Manual we read, "The word perdition is derived from the Latin perditus, meaning 'to destroy'..."4 and that "it means 'utter loss' or 'destruction.'"5
Sons of perdition knowingly chose to rebel against the light and knowledge they had received. Because of their rebellion, sons of perdition are in a state of misery and they will do all they can to make us miserable as they are.6
Where Sons of Perdition Will Go
After God's Final Day of Judgment, the sons of perdition will go to hell, a place called Outer Darkness, where they will dwell for all eternity, while all others will receive a Kingdom of Glory.
"A place where those who cannot be redeemed and who are called sons of Perdition will go into outer darkness. This is the real hell where those who once knew the truth and had the testimony of it and then turned away and blasphemed the name of Jesus Christ, will go. These are they who have sinned against the Holy Ghost. For them there is no forgiveness, and the Lord said he had prepared a place for them."7We read in Doctrine and Covenants, "These are they who shall go away into the lake of fire and brimstone, with the devil and his angels."8 Thus becoming a son of perdition is a tragic fall from grace.
Learn more about God's Plan of Happiness and how He wants all of His children to be saved and eternally live in joy.
1. See John 17:12, 2 Thessalonians 2:3, and Moses 5:24.
2. See Doctrine and Covenants 76:35.
3. Doctrine and Covenants 76:32-35.
4. The Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1979, p 276.
5. The Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1979, p 461.
6. See 2 Nephi 2:5 and 2 Nephi 2:18.
7. The Life and Teachings of Jesus and His Apostles, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1979, p 66.
8. Doctrine and Covenants 76:36.