Do you have faith by works?
To know if you have faith by your works, examine your life by answering these three questions:
- What have you done to show faith by works?
- Have you obeyed God's commandments to repent, be baptized, and receive the Holy Ghost?
- Have you accepted Christ's Atonement?
- Have you had charity for others?
- Did you change a bad habit into a good one?
- Have you chosen to be patient and kind instead of being angry or frustrated?
- Are you studying the scriptures daily with an open mind?
- Are you praying with humility?
- Do you recognize your sins and repent of them each day?
- Are you changing those areas of your life that are against Christ's teachings?
- Have you made a long term goal to change or do something that will bring you closer to Christ? Have you made short term goals to accomplish your long term goal?
- Do you work daily on your short term goals?
- Do you review your goals often and adjust them as necessary?
Scriptures on Faith by Works:
- "What profit is it, my brethren, for a man to say he hath faith, and hath not works? can faith save him?
"Yea, a man may say, I will show thee I have faith without works; but I say, Show me thy faith without works, and I will show thee my faith by my works.
"For if a brother or sister be naked and destitute, and one of you say, Depart in peace, be warmed and filled; notwithstanding he give not those things which are needful to the body; what profit is your faith unto such?
"Even so faith, if it have not works is dead, being alone.
"Therefore wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead and cannot save you?
"Thou believest there is one God; thou doest well; the devils also believe, and tremble; thou hast made thyself like unto them, not being justified.
"Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
"Seest thou how works wrought with his faith, and by works was faith made perfect?" (JST James 2:14-21)
- Hebrews 11
- 1 Nephi 3:7
- 1 Nephi 7:12