Preparation: Gather quotes from the latest General Conference talks that can be represented by a small symbol/item that you own or can easily obtain. Attach the quotes to the bottom of each item and place them on a tray or table. Cover with a cloth.
Directions: Teach the children that it is important to remember what the prophets and leaders teach us at general conference. Uncover the tray and give the children a few moments to look at the items. Recover the tray and have the children list the items they remember seeing on the tray. Have a child come up to choose an item and read the corresponding quote. Discuss the principle being taught and why the item would represent it.
Example of Symbols/Items with Quotes: (From Oct 2003 General Conference)
- Dirty Rag/Clothing: "The promise of the Lord is that He will cleanse our garments with His blood.... He can redeem us from our personal fall." (Elder Lynn A. Mickelsen Of the Seventy, The Atonement, Repentance, and Dirty Linen)
- Picture of Prophet: "Prophets and apostles stand at the head of this work today as it goes forth to all the world." (Elder Shirley D. Christensen Of the Seventy, The Clarion Call of Prophets)
- Pair of Sunday Shoes: "If we will ... walk hand in hand with Him in His paths, we will go forward with faith and never feel alone." (Elder W. Craig Zwick Of the Seventy, The Lord Thy God Will Hold Thy Hand)
- Sacrament Cup (symbolizes continued repentance): "Repenting means giving up all of our practices- personal, family, ethnic, and national- that are contrary to the commandments of God." (Elder Dallin H. Oaks Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, Repentance and Change)
- Picture of the Savior: "In word and in deed Jesus was trying to reveal and make personal to us the true nature of His Father, our Father in Heaven." (Elder Jeffrey R. Holland Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, The Grandeur of God)
- Candle: "If we are to [be] an ensign to the nations and a light to the world, we must take on more of the luster of the life of Christ." (President Gordon B. Hinckley, An Ensign to the Nations, a Light to the World)
- For the Strength of Youth Guidebook: "If we are to be Saints in our day, we need to separate ourselves from evil conduct and destructive pursuits that are prevalent in the world." (Elder Quentin L. Cook Of the Seventy, Are You a Saint?)
Return to the list of Sharing Time Ideas.