1. Religion & Spirituality

Krista Cook

New Guide, New Beginning

By July 11, 2013

I am your new guide on lds.about.com. You can visit my bio for all my personal details, but I will tell you I have been LDS for seven generations!

So, with a new beginning, I thought we would start with the basics, although I will be building on material provided by past guides.

Many people wonder what Mormons believe. The best summary is the 13 Articles of Faith. These 13 points have not changed since 1842, when they were first drafted.  I explain each of these points.

We share many beliefs with other faiths, but some make us unusual. I point out which ones these are in my explanation.

If you want to go a bit further, you can explore why a modern restoration of Jesus Christ's original church was necessary, instead of  just a reformation.

If I could have one wish it would be for people to ask us what we believe. Others may not intend to spread misinformation about the LDS faith, but they often seem to.

Occasionally, others tell me what I believe. Sometimes this includes beliefs I have never heard of.

Based on these experiences,  I  resolved to rely on other faiths in forming my opinions. I ask Catholics what Catholics believe. I ask Baptists what Baptists believe. I ask Hindus what Hindus believe, etc. After all, they are the best authority on what they believe.

What experience have you had with people misunderstanding your beliefs? What did you do to correct them? What did you wish you had done?

Welcome back to any regular visitors of lds.about.com and welcome to any new visitors!

Comments
July 11, 2013 at 4:45 pm
(1) Travis says:

Good to meet you. I look forward to seeing what you put together for this site.

July 16, 2013 at 2:19 pm
(2) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

Hi Travis, Please check back often!

July 11, 2013 at 9:47 pm
(3) Rachel Bruner says:

Welcome, Krista, I’m so excited to see you go live on the site! It’s been quiet for far too long.

This is an excellent post and your article explaining the 13 Articles of Faith is wonderful- great job! You’re well on your way to breathing life back into this topic.

-Rachel Bruner
former LDS Guide

July 16, 2013 at 2:19 pm
(4) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

You’ve always been so gracious, Rachel. Thank you.

July 15, 2013 at 6:50 pm
(5) Denelson Silva says:

It is great to know that LDS About is back again!

July 16, 2013 at 2:20 pm
(6) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

I’m so sorry it was inactive for so long. Hopefully, that is in the past.

July 16, 2013 at 2:21 pm
(7) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

I hope to keep up Rachel’s high standards and I hope you visit often.

July 15, 2013 at 6:54 pm
(8) Linda Hayes says:

Welcome! Looking forward to growing with you.

July 16, 2013 at 2:22 pm
(9) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

Thank you. I’m sure there will be growing pains.

July 15, 2013 at 7:03 pm
(10) Linda says:

SUPER………..was nice the way you have introduced yourself!
And you are SO right about the Articles of Faith.

July 16, 2013 at 2:22 pm
(11) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

Thank you, Linda.

July 15, 2013 at 7:04 pm
(12) Linda says:

Rachel Burner, thanks for all you have contributed over the years. I have turned to you for many lesson aids, clip art and so forth. Best of luck to you!

July 16, 2013 at 2:23 pm
(13) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

I hope I can continue to supply you with useful material, just as Rachel did.

July 15, 2013 at 7:06 pm
(14) Lynda says:

Rachel Burner, thank you so much for all that you have contributed in the past! I have relied on your postings as I have prepared lessons and looked for clip art over the years. Thanks so much for all that you have contributed over the years!!

July 16, 2013 at 2:25 pm
(15) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

I’m glad the site has been so useful to you. I need to warn you that About.com’s guidelines have changed a bit. Much of the clip art will probably have to be removed. Please access it while you can and I’ll try to add material that will help you in the future.

July 16, 2013 at 2:26 pm
(16) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

Rachel was the guide for nearly 10 years. The site is what she made it. I hope I can continue with her good example.

July 15, 2013 at 7:28 pm
(17) Seanette says:

Rachel, thanks for all your years of work on a great resource, and glad you’ll still be around.

Krista, glad to meet you and looking forward to how you handle the site. I do hope you’ll get to keep some of the great resource material you inherited. :)

July 16, 2013 at 2:27 pm
(18) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

I’ll keep everything I can. Rachel dealt very well with some very tough topics. I know I can’t do it better than she did. Unless her material has to be removed for unavoidable reasons, it will remain active on the site and available to you.

July 15, 2013 at 7:59 pm
(19) Lydia Boyce says:

Thank you.

July 16, 2013 at 2:34 pm
(20) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

Lydia, I hope you will visit often.

July 15, 2013 at 8:36 pm
(21) Brent says:

I thought you had given up on me and removed me from your list. Glad to see you back.

July 16, 2013 at 2:28 pm
(22) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

Thanks for remaining faithful during the hiatus between guides.

July 15, 2013 at 8:50 pm
(23) VP says:

Wonderful to see this site active again! I was recentky baptized and Rachel’s posts were very helpful.

July 16, 2013 at 2:28 pm
(24) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

Congratulations. I’m certain there is no higher praise for Rachel.

July 15, 2013 at 9:13 pm
(25) Debbie says:

Congratulations on your new role in serving others.

I love your summary and Rachel’s original explanation of the 13 Articles of Faith, with one exception: I believe the 12th Article has one caveat — that those in government and the institutions themselves must obey our laws in order for us to be required to obey them. We don’t have that in the United States, and it’s getting worse and worse seemingly daily. We are not a nation of laws at this time, but a nation of men (and the friends and cronies of those “men.”)

I truly believe that we have an obligation to understand our founding, both as Latter-day Saints as well as Americans, and to do what we can to restore both belief systems in this great nation and beyond.

All the best,
Debbie

July 16, 2013 at 2:31 pm
(26) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

Hi Debbie, You’ve hit on a subject near and dear to my heart since most of my formal schooling was in American government. One of the best ways to insure government works properly is to be an active and interested citizen. Visit the U. S. Government Information site to find out how you can do that.

July 15, 2013 at 9:24 pm
(27) Al says:

G’day, Krista
Nice to meet you. Thanks for your beaut intro and I look forward to reading your info.

I’m first gen LDS (1959).

July 16, 2013 at 2:32 pm
(28) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

Hi, Hopefully you are the first generation of many.

July 15, 2013 at 9:43 pm
(29) Jsmith says:

Welcome! I’m glad to see this up and running again.

July 16, 2013 at 2:33 pm
(30) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

Thank you. Please let me know if there is something you would like to see covered.

July 16, 2013 at 12:23 pm
(31) Cathy H says:

Welcome! I’m looking forward to hearing more from you.

July 16, 2013 at 2:33 pm
(32) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

I welcome any suggestions from you!

July 16, 2013 at 2:59 pm
(33) fans facebook franšais says:

Hello there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok. I’m definitely enjoying your blog
and look forward to new updates.

July 17, 2013 at 10:08 am
(34) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

I don’t have any social media set up yet, but I will soon. I’ll announce it on the blog when it is available.

July 16, 2013 at 5:09 pm
(35) Suzy ward says:

I am second generation lds and totally believe in our church. I am new
to you and look forward to future letters.
Suzy

July 16, 2013 at 5:50 pm
(36) Brenda says:

Thanks for this… it is a great amount of info… I am also a 7th generation LDS of President Snow. Glad to see this and I will be checking in…looking for updates as well.
Brenda

July 17, 2013 at 4:01 am
(37) Stacy Broughton says:

There is also written an article called, the 15 things I wish the media would get right about the Mormon church but often don’t.
This is very informative I think everyone should read it.

July 17, 2013 at 10:14 am
(38) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

That is a good list. A short time ago I was chuckling over an article I found, in an Idaho paper, I think. It said something like this, “the Mormon Church, formerly known as the Church of Latter-Day Saints.”

July 17, 2013 at 6:36 pm
(39) Robin says:

Thanks for taking on such a daunting task. Its wonderful to see this active again. God bless you!

July 18, 2013 at 1:17 am
(40) Tina says:

So glad you’re here on lds.about.com! I am excited to see your comments in print, and I’m going to share it with our Ward. I loved it when Rachel had it and was sad to see her go. I know You will do GREAT Krista!

August 7, 2013 at 7:13 pm
(41) Krista Cook, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

Thanks Tina!

July 23, 2013 at 2:57 pm
(42) Lori Weidenbacher says:

Hi Debbie,
I look forward to your insight related to New Guide, New Beginnings.
For sone reason as I reflect on this topic, I’m reminded of my own experience viewed through a metaphor. While at the Dead Sea in Israel and covered with mud, I ventured to a nearby shower to wash off the mud. I quickly discovered that the water flowing from the shower was piped in directly from the Dead Sea. The salt water flowing from the shower blinded me. In the darkness of my closed eyes I called out for help. A kind person hearing my plea took me by the hand and gently led me to a shower that had fresh water flowing from it. The water flowing from this shower is fresh water from the Ein Gedi springs near the Dead Sea. As the fresh water flowed down upon me and my sight was restored and I gave thanks, that I was once blind but now I see.
I look forward to New Guide, New Beginnings. Toda Raba (many thanks) Wishing you sunshine, laughter and smiles, Shalom and blessings to you.