1. Religion & Spirituality

Feed Your Missionaries

By July 30, 2010

Our local missionaries are coming over for dinner tonight, which gives us a great opportunity to serve those who are serving others. I enjoy having the missionaries over, as it reminds me of my own mission and the need to share the truth with others.

When was the last time you served your missionaries by feeding them? If it's been awhile, consider feeding your missionaries this week. You don't have to wait to be asked to feed the missionaries- take the initiative today and invite them over.

If you're not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints you can still offer a meal to a pair of missionaries. If you have the missionaries over they usually share a spiritual message and will invite you to do something good, such as learn more about the gospel of Jesus Christ, worship with us at Church, or attend a church activity.

Learn more about missionaries and their missions, including what a mission is or what to expect when applying for a mission.
Comments
August 2, 2010 at 3:20 pm
(1) RaLene says:

I live in the Tampa FL mission and we cannot have our missionaries over for dinner unless we have a non-member in our home for them to teach. Because this isn’t going to be often, our missionaires go without a lot of home cooked meals. Our only other option is to take a meal to them prior to 5 pm or bring groceries to the church on Sunday for them to pick up so they can have food during the week and save on their limited budget. I have been told that this rule is slowly spreading throughout all of the missions in the church. I am glad my son on a mission in Kentucky doesn’t have the same rule. He might starve to death if the members didn’t fix meals for him to come and eat at their homes.

August 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm
(2) Kelli Hitsman says:

Here’s a suggestion for single sisters who want to feed the missionaries. There are several single sisters in our ward. When we have Sister Missionaries, we’re in in great shape for that. But when we only have Elders, It’s a problem for us single sisters to feed them because of church rules & the size of our apartments. I hit on the idea of local restaurant cards that could be used by the missionaries for the nights they don’t invited somewhere. I discussed it with my Bishop who said it would be OK. We now have 5 single sisters taking turns keeping money on the card for the missionaries.

August 2, 2010 at 3:30 pm
(3) Natalie says:

We have had the rule of ‘no missionary unless there is a non-member’ but it was changed. So it does depend on the Mission President at the moment. We are able to have them over, and we had a great time with them this past week. We try hard to have them once a month. We also had people make them dinners and bring them on Sunday or just clean some of their food store for rotation and have the missionaries bring it home. It is a great way to bring the spirit of giving into your life.

August 2, 2010 at 9:36 pm
(4) Wendy says:

I feed the missionaries almost every week. I just did it yesterday. We had a ” no missionary unless a non-member rule too” but it changed. I am a single sister and as long as there is another priesthood holder(s) with them they are allowed to come over and have dinner. I am a RM too and I cherished the days when we were fed by members or investigators. Its a pleasure for me to give them a meal and we always have a spiritual thought:)

August 2, 2010 at 10:28 pm
(5) Joy says:

As senior missionaries in New Jersey the missionaries had a box at the church which often had food in. I fed missionaries nearly every Sunday at our apartment before or after church and we loved it. When I see missionaries in a mall, I walk up to them and shake hands with a $20 bill – they love it. As a youngster I can remember my Dad always stopped on a trip when he saw missionaries. He asked them when their next break was, then we’d meet them at a restaurant and pay their bill. I’ve bought missionaries meals when I have been in a restaurant as well. I have fed many a missionary in my home as well. My 4 sons have benefited by great meals while on their missions in Spain, Costa Rica, Guatemala and Honduras. My grandson in Russia loves having someone feed him too but it happens rarely. It never fails to make a missionary smile when food is set out on the table. God bless the missionaries and the providers of meals for them.

August 3, 2010 at 6:03 am
(6) Sue says:

We live in New Zealand and have a fairly small ward, which means we get to have the pleasure of the missionaries at our table about every week.

The uplifting feeling of having these young men in our home cannot be described. My Husband is a recent convert and my daughter attends with us but it not a member (yet). We find that she listens to and watches these young men as role models for youth.

We have made many a wondeful friend of a missionary with many of them returning to NZ to visit once their mission is finished and bringing their families whom we get to meet as well. I see them as not only the gospel messengers of our church, but also as someone’s son, brother, grandson and friend. I would like to think that if my children were in a foreign country, someone would offer them as we offer our missionaries.

Yes, we have also taken them out to dinner with us for occassions such as a birthday in our family.

I will always have a plate of food for our missionaries at our home or theirs … as I abide by the principal of “In as much as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren … ye have done it unto me”