1. Religion & Spirituality

Discuss in my forum

A temple divorce is called a temple sealing cancellation but how do you apply for one? After a person has been married in a temple, goes through a divorce, and is ready to be sealed for all eternity to a new spouse they are ready to request that their previous temple sealing be canceled.
March 30, 2009 at 11:40 am
(1) Dava says:

As someone who has just recieved her temple cancelation of sealing, the one thing that you must remember is that the church is not punishing you for getting divorced. You may feel discouraged but don’t feel as if this is a punishment for divorcing. After many hours of writing letters to the first presidency and re-writting them as they didn’t contain all of the information needed. I felt like I was never going to be able to be sealed to my spouse and children but I will say that it has truly made me grateful for the blessing of my family. Working together as husband and wife we finally have all of the paperwork done and in 2 weeks we are going to have the chance to be together forever through all eternity. My advice to any of you that are going through this process, It may be long but don’t become disheartened it will be worth it.

May 14, 2009 at 9:51 pm
(2) K says:

Dava, I’d like to know more about this, as I’m beginning this process. My former spouse is making a lot of threats, and I’m trying hard to not get discouraged, but it’s very hard not to.

March 30, 2010 at 5:09 pm
(3) Harlen Hobbs says:

I am also begining the process with my spouse, we were both previously married and never wanted divorce and now that we have found each other are anxious to go to the temple, but where do you start.

April 1, 2010 at 11:51 am
(4) Rachel Bruner, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

Harlen: You start by meeting with your bishop who will have the most recent guidelines that need to be followed. He will help you know what you need to do for you to be sealed to your fiance/wife. Along with the article “How to Apply for a Temple Sealing Cancellation” also see the article Mormon Divorce which explains more about this process.

July 16, 2010 at 9:54 pm
(5) Bill says:

I left the church, had my name removed from the church records, and then got divorced. Given that, am I already temple divorced or do I need to do something else.


August 11, 2011 at 10:53 am
(6) Anonymous says:

The articles written concerning sealing cancellation contain several inaccuracies rendering the article as a guide to those already in emotional distress somewhat irresponsible. The author needs to take time and consult with her Bishop and Stake President and then church HQ for the correct language and process before publicly advising couples.
The first stop for any couple seeking a sealing cancellation is the Bishop of the sisterís ward and that interview should be between the Bishop and her only.

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.