1. Religion & Spirituality

What Holiday Traditions Do You Have?

By November 25, 2008

The holidays are important because we spend a lot of quality time with our families. Most people have a few specific traditions they do with both their immediate and external families. What holiday traditions do you and your family do? Do you do something specific on or around Thanksgiving? What about before, during and after Christmas and New Years?

One family tradition we do at Thanksgiving, during or after our turkey dinner, is for each person to say something they are thankful for. Some years we have a theme or go about it a bit differently, for example sharing three things each instead of just one.

At Christmas time one of my family's traditions is to make fun snowflakes together. We usually do this on Christmas Eve during the day, read about the birth of Jesus at dinner time, and then watch a Christmas video, such as the Nativity Story, in the evening.

What family holiday traditions do you have? Share them with us in the comments!
Comments
November 30, 2008 at 4:08 am
(1) Seanette says:

My husband isn’t big on traditional family activities (he tends toward the non-social), but each year I add a dated ornament to my collection (if that year seemed to have some major event or theme, I try to find an ornament that reflects it), and I have my collection of Nativity scenes I put up/out around the house. This year, I’m adding the Nativity Advent calendar you have here on the site to that collection.

December 1, 2008 at 12:29 am
(2) Sheila says:

I am big on tradition at our house. Starting the 1st of December we always read from our Christmas story book. It has a scripture, song and a story for each day. Each year I add a few stories to rotate them. The kids then get to open a small present. The presents are usually a dollar or under. Like Santa candies, playdoh, cheap coloring books, etc.
We also make a new Christmas ornament each year. Make sure you date these and write the kids names on them. I was planning on giving these to them when they get married, but we had a house last year and we lost everything. So we are starting over. A good friend made me a new book to get started.

December 1, 2008 at 1:14 pm
(3) jim says:

on Christmas day, we invite the older members of our familys to join us for our tradition.we sit in a circle and pass old pictures from our families. this gives everyone a chance to identify these people and tell a short stroy of them. the people in the pictures seem to come alive for a little while.

December 1, 2008 at 3:14 pm
(4) Mark says:

Every year my wife and I and her siblings/spouses and her parents get together for an adult semi-formal dinner and dice game around Christmas. But before this happens we shop during the year for inexpensive $1-$2 items, usual between 10-15 total gifts per couple, anything goes with good taste. They each get individually wrapped. Each couple puts a gift in the center of the table. We each take turns trying to roll a 7 or 11 within a three minute egg timer. Whomever still has the gifts when the timer goes off wins and opens the gift. It is an absolute blast. Sometimes we do this tradition twice a year. The other time is in the summer. Been doing it for 25 years. Our children are grown now and we will have our first family dice game this year. They are looking forward to it like my wife and I had with her family.

December 1, 2008 at 3:29 pm
(5) Mark says:

Sometimes twice a year, but always around Christmas time my wife’s siblings/spouses and parents get together for a semi-formal dinner and dice game. But before the dinner and games begin. We are buying inexpensive $1-$2 gifts, anything goes within good taste, throughout the year. Between 10-15 total gifts get wrapped. Each couple puts a gift on the table, each person in turn tries to roll a 7 or 11 for the gifts within a 1-3 minute time. We have been doing this for 25 years now. This year we will have our own dice game and dinner with our children. It is an absolute blast.

December 1, 2008 at 4:44 pm
(6) Mark says:

Sorry about double posting the same message. It was my first time, and I didn’t think the first one took because it was so slow. I know now.

December 1, 2008 at 8:09 pm
(7) Karen says:

When my sister and I were younger, we would wake our parents on Christmas morning and have to wait until they were dressed before following dad downstairs. Every year, he would peek into the lounge and then close the door saying “he hasnt been this year”. At this sis and I would burst through door almost carrying dad along with us and see all the wonderful presents under the tree! When I got married and we had children, my husband would do the same. In both generations we were still bursting into the room even though we were in our 20′s!

December 2, 2008 at 9:42 am
(8) Edgar E. Herrera says:

We dance and eat on Christmas Eve, starting in the evening and continuing untilwe can no more. And then, later in the morning on Christmas day we go to the beach to continue eating and sleeping and then to comeback home in the evening

December 18, 2008 at 6:30 pm
(9) Curtis says:

On Christmas Eve my family would celebrate Christmas with my paternal grandmother with a wonderful ham dinner followed by gift opening. She passed away summer of 2007, and this will be the 2nd Christmas since her passing that we have carried on the tradition of the ham dinner on Christmas Eve, and will continue this tradition for many years to come.

August 10, 2010 at 8:42 am
(10) Paula says:

At Thanksgiving, after everyone has finished their dinner and we are eating desert, each person tells what they are most grateful for and what special blessing they received over the past year. It is always tearful, funny and makes us all glad we have each other.