1. Religion & Spirituality

Suffering is Necessary

By July 31, 2008

Suffering is a necessary part of our mortal life, but it is worth it! The lord has promised:
"For after much tribulation come the blessings. Wherefore the day cometh that ye shall be crowned with much glory; the hour is not yet, but is nigh at hand" (D&C 58:4).
President Brigham Young said: "Every trial and experience you have passed through is necessary for your salvation" (Discourses of Brigham Young, sel. John A. Widtsoe (1954), 345).

Although suffering is painful the rewards it brings can be sweet. Through my own suffering I have come to know for myself that God's knowledge of me, my life, and my future is perfect- he's all knowing! As I put my trust in Him peace comes into my life and I am able to bear my burdens with thanksgiving.

See the following articles for additional information: "Trials of Our Faith," "Temptations and Trials," and FAQ: Saved by Faith or Works?
Comments
August 4, 2008 at 12:31 pm
(1) Wayne Wright says:

I am more than aware of tribulation due to a lifelong struggle with mental illness (bipolar) and a rare bone issue that has required 7 surgeries. I have question and reviled and cried in anguish asking why. I have finally come at peace with God and say why not? For I now know how great will be my reward and the soothing peace I feel in my soul.

August 4, 2008 at 1:17 pm
(2) RangerBear says:

Why does God allow children to suffer? My wife has lost her faith because her daughter was sexually abused by her biological father for years and noone knew it. Her question is “Why couldn’t God have told me someway that was happening? Why couldn’t the priesthood have known? Does anyone have any guidance?

August 4, 2008 at 4:16 pm
(3) kelly miller says:

Wayne, I am reading an excellent book by someone working with the mind/body connection national agency. We are finally not just looking at images of the brain but watching live feeds of what is going on. And, remarkable things are being learned. I have great hope for your mental illness. The author has some articles online at Meridian magazine. Hope this helps.

my poem about the book- not that it is related to you. But, He can actually watch someone praying and see the activity in the brain live. And, he does address
bipolar in the book.

There’s a correlation to a brain gone wrong
With trauma and poor decision making
The destructive behaviors which are strong
Form the challenges our youth are facing

There’s a correlation to faith and prayer
With activity in the brain’s front right lobe
This is the area only human’s share
Where one’s values, judgments and thoughts disrobe

The mind of man is the brain and the soul
For spiritual forces must and do exist
And when persons share a faith- filled goal
Or when service is given- healing is witnessed

Dr. W. Dean Belnap
A Brain Gone Wrong
Hope for the troubled teen

August 4, 2008 at 4:23 pm
(4) kelly miller says:

To rangerbear

From what I have seen- the mom is
always the last to know and the
child forgives dad- because they
do it to please him anyways-
and they resent mom for not
doing anything and for not
keeping dad happy. It is
tragic and the best way to find
out is from the victim breaking
free- and empowering themselves
toward healing
I am sorry for your heart ache…
I could watch Elder Scott give this talk
all day long- Healing the Shattering
Consequences of Abuse

Some matters are so sensitive
That they are seldom mentioned
To further the distress it gives
Is not at all the intention

There is light we all can feel
Through dark clouds to see much clearer
Tenderly, may you see and heal
As to you I hold a mirror

Unrighteous acts unto the weak
Have done what’s beyond belief
It’s of sexual abuse that I speak
And of the path towards relief

As moral agency’s missused
The tides rise with vicious sin
The one who causes the abuse
Violates all that is within

To rectify all that’s unjust
Our Savior felt all our pain
And, so, the perpetrator thus
Can repent, and resolve from blame
—————————-
I testify that the victim
Can radiate happiness
As the atonement works within
T’wards a pure love that can be sensed

There’s a journey to recovery
And an end to trepidation
As there’s a blessed discovery
The atonement’s an invitation

He alone can share the burden
As one exercises faith
And all that once had been hurled in
Is seen and the heart does not faint

But see’s the true source of abuse
The reviler of God’s laws
Has been the author to accuse
And get inside with his claws

Then, to blind alleys he leads
Where like him, one thinks life’s unfair
And then his strategy he breds-
With tragedy comes despair

And in his manipulation
The victim loses faith and trust
And falls to alienation
Comfortless, the heart forms a crust

But, this is not the way to live
Alone with pain too hard to bear
It’s so important to forgive
For a broken heart to repair
—————————–
It will take a prayerful journey
For understanding of strife
And, oh how the abuser needs
To not be pious in this life…

Oh, how the abuser needs to stop
And seek to be rescued now
As sins make its way to the top
And before God we all we bow

For the healing of harm you’ve caused
Show the abused how you languish
For them show you’ve changed- not just paused
Recognize their mental anguish

Through the study of the atonement
And possibly also counseling
All can see why Christ alone was sent
And, oh the joy for this we should sing

Richard G. Scott
To Heal the Shattering Consequences of Abuse
Ensign, May 2008, 41

August 13, 2008 at 12:33 am
(5) SBG says:

When I feel discouraged and burden by the difficulties of this fallen world, there is great comfort in reflecting on the promises God has given us. One of my favorites is found in John 16:33. Jesus had been talking about his own divinity and the love that he and the Father have for us, and then he says… “I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

August 25, 2008 at 2:54 pm
(6) lds says:

Thank you everyone for your sharing your thoughts with us.

As for why God allows suffering, many times we don’t understand why God doesn’t stop certain things- especially when abuse and other horrible acts of violence are involved.

Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Twelve Apostles said:

“My first point on the subject of timing is that the Lord has His own timetable. ‘My words are sure and shall not fail,’ the Lord taught the early elders of this dispensation. ‘But,’ He continued, ‘all things must come to pass in their time’ (D&C 64:31–32).

“The first principle of the gospel is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Faith means trust—trust in God’s will, trust in His way of doing things, and trust in His timetable. We should not try to impose our timetable on His. As Elder Neal A. Maxwell of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has said:

“‘The issue for us is trusting God enough to trust also His timing. If we can truly believe He has our welfare at heart, may we not let His plans unfold as He thinks best? The same is true with the second coming and with all those matters wherein our faith needs to include faith in the Lord’s timing for us personally, not just in His overall plans and purposes.’

“Indeed, we cannot have true faith in the Lord without also having complete trust in the Lord’s will and in the Lord’s timing.”

Timing,” Ensign, Oct 2003, 10–17.

January 1, 2009 at 6:55 pm
(7) Ray says:

hi,my name is Ray originally from philippines but im living here now in united kingdom…i have a problem about my relationship with my wife,we have been married for 4 years now…i married in muslim ways another my wife is a muslim..i married her because i love her i htought after our marriage will be ok and can share with her about the gospel but there was a problem everytime i share with her,she dont listen to me..she ignoring me another we fight about the gospel.i love her and my daughter i have been inactive in the church for 5 yaers because of the reason i dont want trouble and fighting with her.especially in the front of my daughter…my question is what im going to do…i love the gospel i know the truth.i have strong testimony about the gospel.all my family are members back home..can yout tell me about what im going to do about my problem.please help …i prayed that im always strong..please help me..thank you..

January 8, 2009 at 7:33 pm
(8) Rachel Woods, Guide to Latter-day Saints says:

Dear Ray,

Thank you for your comment and questions. One piece of advice I would give would be to not talk or pressure your wife about the church but start by being a “silent” example by going to church by yourself. Become involved in the church, hold and fulfill a calling, go home teaching, pray, and study your scriptures. Doing these things will increase your personal spirituality which will bring the Spirit into your life and your home.

I would also advise praying and fasting to the Lord for guidance to know what to do. He knows you, he knows your wife, and he knows what you both need. As you open your heart, humble yourself, and accept his will, he will guide and inspire you with what is best for you and your family.

May the Lord be with you!

-Rachel