1. Religion & Spirituality

The Family: A Proclamation to the World

By October 4, 2007

The Family: A Proclamation to the World, by the First Presidency and Twelve Apostles, clearly defines what we believe about families and how the family is the basic unit of God's plan.

Also see the Family Life and Marriage category for additional resources.
Comments
October 18, 2007 at 3:19 pm
(1) Brenda says:

Because of problems with a Bishop my husband has quit going to church because of my children I do not go we are in the same church and I am not allowed because of Daughter-in-law to speak to my son or grandchildren so I do not go to church I do not feel welcome or comfortable only one church in the town. what do I do now/

May 31, 2008 at 5:44 pm
(2) Daniel says:

I simpathize with your plight. I wish I could have responded in a more timely fashion.

Has the conflict between your husband and bishop been resolved at all?
What about the conflict between you and your daughter-in-law?
Do you have any local friends to help you get through it?
How is your testimony? I recall when I had none.

August 8, 2008 at 7:29 pm
(3) Cheryl says:

I can understand your feelings and confusion. I was in a similar situation when I married my husband and we were in the same ward as his ex-wife. I felt so uncomfortable! I was also a new member. I prayed very hard about my situation and the one thing that I always felt came back to me from Heavenly Father was that I shouldn’t let ANYTHING stand in my way of taking part in all that has been promised to me. I continued to go to church each sunday and attended all activities. I treated my husbands ex-wife as a Sister in Christ and through time everything worked out! Good Luck to you and remember to stay strong!

November 7, 2008 at 9:48 am
(4) jess says:

Do married men have more than one wife? And do they sleep with their daughters?

November 12, 2008 at 8:11 pm
(5) lds says:

Jess: No, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints do not have more than one wife or husband and they do not sleep with their children. Either act would get a member excommunicated for the Church of Jesus Christ.

January 5, 2010 at 1:04 pm
(6) yinka999 says:

However, a man can have an infinite number of wives in the afterlife and be sealed to them. It is near next to impossible for a woman to be sealed more than once.

March 30, 2010 at 9:12 pm
(7) Kurt says:

I am trying to get a tempel divorce from my former wife, I hope it will work, she comitted adultery and immorallity while we were married, I plan to get married again and sealed in the tempel, I think it is the greatest place on earth and the only one were I feel free of all what you surrounds today in this world.

April 1, 2010 at 11:46 am
(8) Rachel Bruner, Latter-day Saint Guide says:

Kurt: I have an excellent article about “How to Apply for a Temple Sealing Cancellation” please note that your request will be to have a permission to be sealed to more than one woman as they won’t cancel your sealing to your first wife until she is ready to be sealed to another man. Please see the article for additional details as well as the article Mormon Divorce which explains more about this process.

July 15, 2010 at 7:12 pm
(9) Lynn says:

My daughter is married to the son of a Mormon family in utah. Due to his alcoholism and threatening behaviour she has had to return to the uk. She is bringing up their daughter with no support from the father or his family. He lives with his family, has a well paid job and my daughter’s in-laws are very comfortably off. My daughter has been abandoned by the family – out of sight out of mind. We do not wish to cause any trouble but I have practically begged them for some financial support. They make demands such as wanting to have photographs first – we have done this. they say they want to speak to their granddaughter – we have phoned them. They won’t send money direct because they say they do not trust my daughter. In the same breath they say she’s a good mother. They will not help us. Please, what can we do?

July 15, 2010 at 7:17 pm
(10) Lynn says:

I did mean to mention that my daughter has been back in the uk for nearly 4 years and up to now this year has received 420 in total as maintenance. She received abusive calls from her husband and I have on tape his threats to “come over and kill me”. We are at our wits end and all we are asking for is some support. Is this normal for the Mormon Church? I work in a church here in the uk and it’s an Anglican Church. They cannot believe the treatment we have received from our in-laws. We also pray for their son even though he is abusive and violent. Of course the mother is defensive – it’s her son after all and she is protective and states my daughter was ‘no angel’. There is no police record, hospital record or any record of my daughter being violent – but I’m afraid there is plenty of evidence regarding her husband. This is not about revenge, it’s simply for them to support their family here. Thank you for any help you can give.

September 11, 2010 at 7:06 pm
(11) Vicky says:

No, that is not typical of Mormon men. This man could hardly be a member of the church in good standing unless he has lied to the clergy about this situation. I’m sorry on his behalf that his bad behavior has reflected so poorly on Mormons in general. You might look online for “The Family: A Proclamation to the World.” That is the ideal that all people, Mormons or not, should apply themselves to in order to raise a successful family.